October came and went so fast that its already mid-november. Holy cow
… how time flies when you’re having fun!
Since our last update, we’ve finished recording our first CD,
Aggravatin’ Beauty, played a variety of neat parties, and placed 2nd
in the Old Time String Band competition at Goleta. I’m including a few
pictures to give you some flavor.
We’re really excited about sharing our new CD with you and hope you
can join us at the Coffee Gallery Backstage on Sat, Dec 3 from 7-9pm, where we’ll unveil it for the first time. Modal Tease and Cliff Wagner & Old Number 7 double headline this bill in celebration of their new CDs, bringing you a not-to-be-missed Christmas show that celebrates music from Appalachia, Nashville, and Beyond. Admission is $20. The Backstage is such an ideal place to see acoustic music — great sound, intimate setting — and seating is very limited, so we recommend RESERVING YOUR SEAT by calling (626) 798-6236 between 10a and 10p. For more info on the show, go to http://www.coffeegallery.com/showsat.htm and scroll down to Dec 3rd.
Thanks for your interest in our music and wishing you a delightful Thanksgiving.
–fiddling mama B
Well September came and went! The Berkeley Old Time Festival was a blast and we came back energized with many new tunes to learn. My son turned 3 on October 1st and I’m counting down the days ’til he’ll be old enough to learn banjo (this isn’t just Dragon Mom … he is fascinated). As I write this, its been rainy and cold in Mt Baldy, feeling more like Winter than Fall. We hope part of your Fall Harvest will include joining us for some music from Appalachia and Beyond.
- This Sat, 10/8, 1-4pm, we provide entertainment for the 2nd Annual Mt Baldy Wine in the Woods fundraiser at the Glick’s chalet in Baldy (intersection of Mt Baldy Rd and Ice House Canyon Trailhead).
- This Sun, 10/9, we plan to compete at the Old Time Fiddler’s Convention and Festival in Goleta (http://fiddlersconvention.org/dpage.php?page_id=1). We hope to go on around 11a and stay most of the day for jamming, etc. That evening, we’ll perform at the Samarkind Covenant Retirement Community in Santa Barbara from 6:45-7:45p (http://www.thesamarkand.org/).
- Fri 10/14 we host the 2nd Friday old time jam at the Fretted Frog in Echo Park (1200 N Alarado St, LA). Bring your tunes and talent and come hoedown with us. Beforehand (5-7p), some Teasers will perform at the Echo Park Farmer’s market (1125 Logan St, LA).
The rest of our efforts this month will be spent in the studio, recording for a CD we hope to release in December. Stay tuned!
Thanks again for your interest in our band,
–fiddling mama B
August has come and gone. How time flies! Hope this message finds you sizzling to some very hot music, but managing to keep cool otherwise. Thanks for your interest in our band; if you ever wish to be removed from this list, just send me an email.
- This Friday (9/9, 8-10:45p) we host the 2nd Friday old time jam at the Fretted Frog in Echo Park (1200 N Alarado St, LA). Bring your tunes and talent and come hoedown with us. Beforehand (5-7p), some Teasers will perform at the Echo Park Farmer’s market (1125 Logan St, LA).
- On Sunday 9/11, 4-5p, the 5-piece band will appear for a free summer concert at Peter Strauss Ranch (http://www.topangabanjofiddle.org/summer_concerts_2011.html). This concert celebrates some of the best contestants from the 2011 Topanga Banjo and Fiddle contest. Women on the Move goes on at 3p, we follow up at 4.
- During the weekend of 9/16-9/18 we’re off to Berkeley for the Old Time Music Convention (http://www.berkeleyoldtimemusic.org/), where we’ll compete in the string band contest. If you’ve never been to this festival, you should check it out sometime. Its piles of fun and offers a good excuse to get away to the Bay Area. We’ll go on sometime between 11a-3p. The event coincides with a Farmer’s Market (Civic Center Park, Berkeley).
- On Sunday 9/25, 8:30a-12:30p, we perform at the Long Beach Farmer’s Market (Marina Dr & E 2nd St, Long Beach). With beach front access and 4 hours of time to shake a leg with us, how can you not be there? 🙂
Wishing you a splendid September,
–fiddling mama B
The Modal Tease String Band had a great month of July, kicked off by our virgin jam at the Fretted Frog Acoustic Guitar Store. Thanks to all of you who came to play and also to Roland for graciously letting us invade his store :-). We also made a couple impromptu Farmer’s Market appearances, enjoyed jamming in the Eastern Sierras, and took ourselves on the road to Portland to help Cliff (our mandolin player) celebrate his marriage, resulting in our 1st (of hopefully many) “Rest Stop” tours. To share this good life with you, some pictures follow.
- This Friday (8/12, 8-10:45p) we host our next 2nd Friday jam at the Frog — bring your axe and come HOEDOWN. Beforehand (5:30-7p), three Teasers will perform at the Echo Park Farmer’s market (1125 Logan St Los Angeles, CA 90026).
- On Sunday 8/14, 8:30a-12:30p, the 5-piece band will appear in Long Beach at the Farmer’s Market (8:30a-12:30p; Marina Dr & E 2nd St). Joe Wack — a seasoned West VA fiddler — will be sitting in — don’t miss it.
I’m gone for most of August on vacation, which will include a stop in Martinez where I perform a solo set at the Hopeful Romantics‘ American Sunday (8/4, 3-6p, Armando’s in Martinez CA). I’ll also be joining my family for a few days at the Centralia old-time campout.
Wishing you a great summer,
–fiddling mama B